A. Imperialism Map
Answer the following questions based on the map 'Imperialism and the Balance of Power' (if this map does not load correctly, hit the 'reload' button several times) (use your browser's back button to return to this page)
1. How many different countries have colonies?
2. Which country has the largest colonial empire?
3. Which continents are almost completely controlled by other countries? Which continents are only controlled by a few countries?
4. What could be a different title for this map?
B. Data on colonial empires
Examine the following charts to answer these questions
1. About how many square miles of territory does France control?
2. What is the TOTAL population controlled by the 5 countries shown in this chart?
3. Based on this information, which country has the largest colonial empire? Does this answer agree with your answer to question 2 above in section A 'Imperialism Map' ?
(Germany data as of 1914)
Data collected from http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/pol116/colonies.htm
C. Impact of Colonization Data
Look at the chart below and answer these questions:
1. Which 2 areas of the world are almost completely controlled by colonial powers? Does this answer agree with your answer to question 3 above in section A 'Imperialism Map' ?
Make some conclusions about Imperialism based on the information above